Alexian Brothers Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, Communications Manager, July 2013 to Present.
Manage development communications.
Rush Oak Park Hospital, Oak Park, IL, Senior Marketing Communications Specialist, June 2011 to July 2013; Marketing and Communications Coordinator, April 2008 to June 2011.
Manage marketing, corporate communications and public relations.
- Collaborate with Marketing Director and senior leadership to ensure effective communication of hospital’s mission and strategic goals to internal and external audiences. Develop and implement communications plans.
- Write, edit and project manage internal and external communications and publications, including employee and community newsletters. Train and supervise freelance writers, designers and volunteers. Oversee social media sites and website. Design signage, employee newsletter and presentations for hospital-wide monitors.
- Create, update and project manage marketing collateral. Write ad and brochure copy, find and select art, and manage deadlines. Collaborate with vendors and agencies as needed. Produce on-hold advertising messages. Implement brand guidelines.
- Manage media relations. Promote and participate in community outreach and health education, including support of Age-WISE program. Write and edit news releases, editorials and articles for newspapers and health care publications. Pitch stories, respond to press calls and coordinate interviews. Monitor print media coverage, which has more than doubled since April 2008. Photograph and edit all hospital photos.
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, Freelance Magazine Writer, April 2008 through January 2009.
Reported and wrote articles for Notre Dame Magazine and Notre Dame Business Magazine.
The Herald-Journal, Spartanburg, SC, Reporter, August 2006 through January 2008.
Covered health care and county government.
- Reported and wrote award-winning health care storiesand series, and county government stories. Worked closely with media relations associates to schedule interviews and develop sources and stories.
- Produced audio slideshows, videos, a health care blog, and live health care chat with readers.
- Coverage included 710-bed university medical center; 588-bed health system; 209-bed community hospital; 143-bed rural hospital; privately owned practices; and free and low-cost medical clinics.
- Supervised night shift as needed. Assigned and edited articles. Copy-edited newspaper before print.
Tax Analysts, Falls Church, VA, Staff Writer, August 2004 through August 2006.
Reported and wrote articles for Tax Notes and State Tax Notes.
- Reported on Capitol Hill and state tax issues. Wrote stories on federal tax and health care policy, and on state tax law. Traveled monthly to multistate tax conferences.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, M.S., Journalism, September 2003.
- Updated and fact-checked Iraqi war casualty database for USA Today. Washington bureau reporter for Religion News Service and Madison Capital Times. Reported for Medill News Service on state and county government.
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, B.A., Government, Italian, Summa Cum Laude, May 2002.
- Joseph Italo Bosco Award, excellence in Italian studies. Romance Languages and Literatures Honesty Committee. Universita` per Stranieri di Siena. St. Mary’s College, Rome. Student radio host. Clarinet, marching band.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, DEVELOPMENT, AWARDS AND HONORS
- Member, Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development; participant, SHSMD Connections, Chicago, September 2010.
- Member, American Marketing Association; participant, Nonprofit Marketing Conference, Chicago, July 2009.
- Social Media Skills Workshop, National Association of Medical Communicators, Chicago, September 2009.
- 2007 South Carolina Press Association (SCPA) awards: first place, health reporting; second place, short story; third place, profile feature writing.
- Scholarship, Addiction Studies Program for Journalists, Quebec City, Canada, June 2007.
- Scholarship, Health Disparities Journalism Institute, Atlanta, GA, spring 2007.
- 2006 SCPA awards: second place, health reporting.
- Licensed foster parent in Illinois, January 2011 to Present.
- Member, Illinois State Poetry Society, and Chicago Poets and Patrons, January 2012 to Present.
- Communications volunteer, Slow Food Chicago, Chicago, IL, January 2010 to May 2010.
- Volunteer, West Suburban PADS, Forest Park, IL, September 2008 to January 2010.